Marie is a qualified Social Worker and Cognitive Behaviour Therapist (CBT) and her work has been mainly with children and adolescents. Marie is registered with the HCPC (Health & Care Professions Council) as well as an accredited CBT therapist with BABCP (British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies).
As a therapist, Marie has worked for many years with children and adolescents who have been sexually abused, suffered from complex trauma or experienced other kinds of trauma and/or who displayed harmful sexual behaviours. Over the last few years the client group increased to include: deliberate self-harm; suicidal thoughts; depression; and psychosis among other difficulties. Marie’s main goal is to give everyone a chance to aim for a life worth living. As a qualified social worker, her work was in child protection, with unaccompanied minors and asylum seekers.
Marie has many years’ experience of seeing patients both individually and in groups. She has been running groups for parents as part of a programme for the child/adolescent and their parents/carers. Marie also has experience of working with children and adolescents who present challenging behaviours, autism spectrum disorder (especially high functioning) and/or ADHD. In the work with the child and the parents, Marie also often worked with the extended family as well as with the school.
Marie has been a guest lecturer at universities in Sweden, and a facilitator at workshops at Conferences and training events throughout the UK (NOTA), in Sweden and the USA (ATSA). She has run courses and educated professionals and students about children and adolescents who display harmful sexual behaviours. She has also offered training and supervision to other professionals who work with children and adolescents in a DBT-approach.
In Sweden between 2009 and 2014, Marie managed two outpatient clinics for ages from 2-25 years, where a DBT-approach group programme was developed and offered to adolescents who displayed harmful sexual behaviours. Trauma group programmes were also offered for those under 12 who had experienced sexual abuse. She is currently working part-time as a CAMHS Lead Therapist on an inpatient private CAMHS ward, where she is seeing adolescents individually and in groups.
- Core profession is Social Work (qualified in 1999) with experience of working in Social Services in both England and Sweden.
- Accredited Cognitive Behaviour Therapist (CBT), qualified at Goldsmiths University, London, 2003 with Windy Dryden.
- Diploma in Dialectic Behaviour Therapy (DBT), gained in 2010, where she trained with Elizabeth Malmquist and Anita Linnér (Sweden), as well as with Alan Fruzzetti and Jill Rathus (USA).
- Trained in Trauma Focused-CBT, including Supervisor training (TF-CBT) 2013 with Laura Murray (USA); and
- Trained in Prolonged Exposure (PE) 2012 with Edna Foa (USA).